Sunday, July 15, 2012

New Knife Completion: Moonglow Spyderco Lum

Hey All,

Today I was able to finish up another custom job for a Spyderco Lum Tanto with full Moonglow scales.

For those who don't know or are unfamiliar with Moonglow, it's an awesome acrylic material that glows in the dark.  No, I didn't invent the stuff (although it's a question I get very frequently because of the name coincidence), and there's some confusion as to the difference between my glow in the dark inlay and Moonglow.  Moonglow is an acrylic that comes in sheets, it's sold commercially although its tough to get.  It contains a glow in the dark pigment which is evenly distributed throughout the material.  I also use a mixed glow in the dark epoxy for some of my inlay work, it's a very different beast from Moonglow tho.

In any event, I always wanted to try out Moonglow scales on a few Spyderco models including the Lum, so I carpe diem'ed that sucker and opportunity added some glow in the dark scales.  I also polished up the liners so the glowing scales would reflect and add a little extra brightness to the mix.  The results I couldn't be happier with.

-Will