Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Customized Lime/Anti Scratch Boker Plus Epicenter

I recently found a couple of knives from before my move in my toolbox, and decided to do a little work on them.  These were knives that had some quality issues I could not correct on my own before due to a general lack of knowledge, but being now much more experienced in knife making, I could sort out the issues readily.


The Boker Plus Epicenter designed by Todd Rexford is known for having some initial quality concerns.  I don't personally know if more recent production knives have sorted out these problems, but the samples I was sent when I initially recieved the knives had problematic scale alignment, some issues with the lockup and a few scratches in the satin finish.  Besides that, and more problematically, they also both had extremely weak detents.

I fixed these issues by adding a handmade G10 scale, which also lightened the knife considerably, redrilling the detent hole in the blade to help with the weak retension and adding some titanium putty to the blade tang, just enough to clear up the lockup issue and then reground the lockbar face to be a little less shallow.  I used this titanium putty trick a lot in my past life as a roboticist in repairing cracked or damaged parts.  When dry, Ti putty is just like having solid welded titanium, and wears much in the same way.  I then had the blade tang and lockbar carbidized to help the materials wear a bit better, so the knife is rock solid now.



Additionally I textured the entire frame in my anti-scratch finish and anodized the innards blue.  This is a polished Ti finish thats totally impervious to scratching and scuffing, I think it also feels great in the hand and provides a little more grip than the standard media blast.