Monday, July 2, 2012

Experimentation with Regrinding

Regrinding, that is the practice of modifying existing factory or maker grinds into a more subtable cutting geometry for a given task, is more popular now than ever before.  Some excellent custom knife makers like Tom Krein and Brad Southard have made a name for themselves in offering this service, transforming rather lackluster grinds into some wicked edges.  This past week I started experimenting with regrinding myself, and while it's a service I will not be offering due to extreme liability, I was very happy with the results.



The donor knife in this case was a old Benchmade 755 MPR I found while cleaning out my tool-bin.  Some parts for the knife had been lost in my recent move, but Benchmade was kind enough to send out the replacements for the missing hardware.  My biggest issue with my old MPR was the flat grinding geometry wasn't optimal for such a small knife, and it wasn't slicing well as a utility cutter.  I reground the knife to a deep hollow grind, and the result completely transformed this piece.  I also did some other custom work on the 755 while I had it apart, so it now sports a maroon frame and anti-scratch Ti frame in addition to the hollow ground blade.  Still have to make the pocket clip, but so far I'm a very happy camper.