Saturday, July 28, 2012

Moon Orion Standard SN19: Evolution of a Knife

Hey All,

I wanted to take a quick moment and show off my latest Orion, number 19, and also talk a little bit about some of the changes I've made to the model over the course of the run.  I've found over the course of this run of knives that there are some small changes that I could make to the knives that would make them perform better, look better, be more comfortable in hand and just be better knives in general.  These are things like a more radiused handle contour, long plunge lines, convexed tips, enlarged finger choils and (not shown) polished internals and washers.  Little things like these go a long way in turning a mediocore knife into something first rate, and they're things I've learned with this model, being my first higher quantity knife.



SN19 incorperates all of the latest changes down to the screw, and really is the most perfect Orion I've made to date.  I spent a little time learning how to do proper plunge lines with a certain NC native knife maker (wink) and the results really shine on this knife.  Likewise I'm really happy with the overall cleanliness of everything on this knife, the grinds, the satin flats, the polished handles, the gold spacers, everything works well together.  Likewise the action on this knife came out increadibly well.  I fit the knife four times until I was happy with it, time well spent.  The payoff is a knife with a glass-like action and absolutly no play in the handles without having to use bearings.



After sharpening, I murdered some old shop manuals and packaged it up, ready to ship out.  If you're interested in this Orion, feel free to send me an email to inquire, WillMoonCustomKnives@gmail.com.

-Will