Sunday, July 15, 2012

Moon Framelock Build Day 4: Prelim Frame Milling

Hey All,

I wanted to post the first few photos of the milling of the first framelock.  I just drilled the lanyard hole for today, unfortunatly the frame pocket mill I have is too short and the spindle of the CNC mill is bottoming out on the framelock pocket so that's as far as I can go until I get new tooling for the job.  So far tho, I think the lanyard hole setup looks good.  Here's some misc. shop photos from the build, enjoy:



Above are all the steps for the milling of the handles.  There are seven setups, the first two are single tool processes but the rest of the setups have around 8 tool changes on average.  This doesn't count the setups for the pocket clips and blades, which are also milled.  On the table you can see some of the titanium billets laid out and ready to go.


Here's one of the billets bolted into a fixture and ready to go into the milling machine.  This particular fixture is a 1.5 inch piece of 6061Al that's meant to hold the titanium frame facing upward for the routing of the pocket for the blade.


Here's a handle billet being routed on the bottom for the blade pocket.  


-Will