Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Moon Framelock Build: Day 3

Hey All,

Today marks day three of the Moon Integral Build.  Today was mostly dedicated to making some last minute changes before the rest of my tooling shows up to start milling.  Design-wise, I've decided to go with a 3D milled pocket clip rather than a standard bent pocket clip.  While both clips would have been in house made soecifically for this project, I decided that a premium knife like this should have premium hardware throughout, so the milled pocket clip really seemed like the way to go.  The clip attaches via two torx screws and is also held in place by a pocket milled into the frame for a little extra strength.  The clips can potentially take an inlay, although I'm a little concerned about whether the inlay will stay in the clip if the clip is bent when donning and doffing the knife, so a little testing will be in order to make sure the inlay is durable.  Likewise I also lengthened the clip from the original, which was fairly short as to stay unobtrusive.  So far I'm happy with this design, it'll mean more work for each knife but if it helps me make a truly superior knife, I'm all for it, that afterall is my aim.

-Will