Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Word about C-Tek

Hey All,

Recently a new material has been introducted to the market that I'm really excited about.  In my work, one of the most interesting and exciting things that I do on a day to day basis is I get to work with and learn about new and innovative materials for my knives, and C-Tek may be one of the coolest materials I've seen to day.  For those of you who haven't seen C-Tek yet, it's a new material that was recently introduced to the market as a lightweight alternative to G10 and Micarta.  Unlike G10 and Micarta, resin filled C-Tek doesn't have a fiber weave to give it strength, instead it uses honey comb aluminum mesh, which is lighter and stronger than G10.  Likewise the resin used with this material is translucent, allowing for a very cool visual appearance when used on the handle of a knife.

I will be working with this material on my future projects, and plan on integrating it into a lot of my future work.  I see this as being one of the most revolutionary and interesting materials to hit the market in a very long time, it's expensive but you get what you pay for in cool factor.

-Will