Thursday, October 11, 2012

Customized Emersons: Super Roadhouse and CQC7V

Hey All,

  I'd like to take a quick moment to show off a couple customized Emerson knives that I just finished.  Emerson knives provided a great starting point for customization, not only are they fairly simple to work on they also usually give the customizer a great blank canvas with which to design.  The first is a CQC7V, one of my favorite Emerson designs, which I've given a set of orange G10 grips.  These grips have a stripe of silver twill inlaid into the handles as well as traction flutes for grip located where the majority of the hand meets the scale.  This keeps the knife smooth in the pocket as not to damage your clothes, but tactile enough to prevent slipping during use.  






The second knife in the series is a Emerson Super Roadhouse.  This massive knife is an awesome tactical blade, so I didn't want to use a lot of bright color as per my usual style.  However, I still wanted to keep it a little "space-punk", so I chose natural canvas micarta for the scales with copper and black micarta inlays.  Again I used a fluting design for the handle scales to give the knife some traction.





Both knives have refinished liners.  Emerson knives typically come with relatively rough liners, which have water jet marks on them from their construction.  By mating the scales to the liners, I refinish the edges and eliminate these machining marks, creating a consistant satin finish around the edge of the knife.  Likewise I hand sand each scale's edges to fit the knife, there's nothing I hate more than ragged edges on knives, and it's the little things that really make a piece scream quality.

More customized Emerson goodness to come!

-Will