Friday, December 23, 2011

Orion Continued: changes and modifications

The Orion Balisong project continues.  I am still currently in the prototyping stages for the new butterfly knives, and I have some news.  Without divulging too much information as to the final product (because simply put I don't know quite yet exactly what it's going to be made out of or look like), I spent most of the day yesterday putting my design in Solidworks, and so far I think I have a workable latchless model.  The T-Latch version will come at a later time.

Since there seems to be a relativly large latchless Balisong following, I think the first run of these knives will be without a latch.  I have modified the design so that it now has precision ground stainless steel standoffs for weight, and beefed up the tang pins to eighth inch steel rod.

Because I have CAD models now, I'm strongly considering having the blanks of the blades and handles water cut to save on time and cost and allow me to offer an overall more affordable product.  The blades would still be hand ground, all fit and finish done by hand with custom handles available.  However, this would allow me, for example, to more precisely control the handle fit and create a tighter Bali for the end user.  If I end up going with waterjet cut parts, it will significantly reduce the cost and allow me to use higher end materials, like titanium handles and nicer blade steels, so it may be worth it.  I will have a prototype made this way and see how expensive it turns out to be, and then I will make my final decision as to the construction methods of the Balisong.

Keep posted...

Will