Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Knife Completion: Emerson Endeavor with Silver Twill

I'll go on record for openly criticizing a lot of things about Emerson knives.  While I like the profiles, wave feature and quality steels of Emerson's production knives, a lot of things about the build quality of EKI pocket knives leave a lot to be desired.  For example, the next time you pick up an Emerson, look at the milling of the spine of the blade.  It's not totally smooth.  The liners are often "sticky" and thin.  On newer Emerson knives, the nonlocking side isn't titanium, it's stainless steel.  The pocket clips are only drilled and tapped for right handed carry.  The backspacers don't line up evenly with the liners.  The list goes on.

                                       

My biggest gripe about Emerson knives is the G10 they use, which is either the fine texture G10 or their coarse texture G10, both of which rip pockets faster than Rosie O'Donnell cleans the buffet out at the Golden Corral.  That said, I like Emerson's designs enough as well to buy some models, and the problems mentioned above can be fixed with equal parts know-how, elbow grease and care attention to detail.


                                       
I bought this Emerson Endeavor as a project blade from Knifeart.com for a grand sum of 190$ shipped.  That's a lot of money to invest in a knife that you're essentially going to pimp out.  It's a risk, I know, but when I get an idea in my head for a knife it's sometimes hard to let go of that dream.  The Endeavor is a cool little pocket knife; just small enough to be legal in Raleigh, it has Emerson's wave feature and a very attractive blade shape.  The biggest thing that I like about the Endeavor as opposed to Emerson's other knives is the fact that it doesn't use Emerson's hokey thumb-disk, which I really don't care for at all.


                                      

The G10 absolutely had to go.  While the fine texture G10 isn't as bad as Emerson's coarse texture G10, it still has a tendency to eat jeans, so I swapped it for silver twill.  While I was at it, I used some of my new toxic green G10 to make a flush fitting backspacer.  Here's what the project came out looking like.  I still haven't mounted the pocket clip, but it's a pretty simple operation, just requires a little more drilling.