Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Orion Inertial Opening System

One of the many new and innovative features I'm putting on the Orion Balisongs is what I'm calling my I.O.S., or Inertial Opening System.  This uses a spring loaded ball bearing detent to retain the latch of the knife which is located in a removable modular trunnion.  This trunnion will come in a kit soon after the release of the Orion Balis and will allow users to swap their latchless precision ground spacer kit for the I.O.S. kit via the 440 machine screws located towards the rear of the handles.

Basically the way the latch works, it allows the user to give the knife a sharp flick and it will simply unlatch itself with a predetemined amount of pressure.  This latch in essense allows for the knife to be opened without the need of an over spring or T latch, and I believe it's a much more elegant solution to keeping the knife closed when the blade is not in use.  I did put in for mechanical and design patents on this latching system because it's unique to me and no other makers are offering this kind of latch.

Here's an initial video showing how it works, bear in mind the latches will be much beefier in the final versions, so no worries about flimsey latching mechanisms.  These are constructed from solid 6Al4V titanium and will come in a variety of different finishes to suit your knife.